A friend of mine was recently making rounds on various message boards when he found a post with information on the upcoming PS3 v2.00. Since this is coming from a message board, I'm regarding it as a rumor, and I strongly advise you take this with a grain of salt.
Here is his list in it's entirety:
- 1. v2.00 will have updated drivers for its built-in internet browser, for updated flash player functionality and other stuff related to the browser.
- 2. his beta/final build of v2.00 consisted of 2 different downloads - one containing Home, and one without it. this results in the Home software having it's own section in the XMB. Current Beta version are downloaded from the store and are booted from the game section of the XMB. It was mentioned though, that Home has been accessed this way since v1.54 and not to expect Home to actually be released until after v2.10 or v2.20. Kinks are being worked out involving the Home/XMB menu design/access. His group is mainly ironing out
- 3. Anonymous mentioned that there would be no in-game XMB access yet, although the group that he is currently operating with have actually sent this idea, as well as other ideas, to their dept heads. Aside from known bug issues, he also gets to send his higher-ups thoughts/opinions/ideas to improve software. But he hasn't heard of any response from anyone yet about this feature other than that, so far, it is not in his final build.
- 4. Icons for movies/games can now move while other media types are currently being accessed.
- 5. Security is being worked on. You can password protect individual files on your HDD including movies, photos and pictures by pressing triangle to access the options menu. he did state though that this does not appear to be anywhere finished yet, and not to expect it for the v2.00 update, but cool info none the less.
To protect the innocent, I'm withholding where my friend got this from. However, should the author of the list read this, and would like me to credit you properly, please by all means contact me.
Given the recent influx of views for this article, I would like to remind you that I did not write the list myself, I merely found it and posted it, since it's an interesting read... personally I think it's a 50/50 chance on whether it's true or not... and you know after further review, to ME #2 doesn't really make much sense, I don't know, but releasing a firmware update in two different versions seems, well, like a weird thing for Sony to do.